Need help with your heating bill? The 2023-2024 Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) was established to help qualifying low-income Iowa homeowners and renters pay a portion of their primary heating costs for the winter heating season.
The LIHEAP is based on household income, household size, type of fuel and type of housing. See table below for the breakdown of each. Details on how and when to apply as well as necessary document is also listed below.
Annual Gross Income
For households with more than eight members, add $10,280 for each additional member.
- Elderly (60 & over) and/or disabled: October 1, 2023 to April 30, 2024
- All other households: November 1, 2023 to April 30, 2024
- Proof of Income (for all household members age 18 and over) - Depending upon household income type, income documentation from the past 30 days, the last 12 months, or last calendar year, whichever is easier or more beneficial for you.
- Proof of Social Security Numbers for all household members. (documentation required)
- Most recent heat bill.
- Most recent electric bill.
Bring copies of check stubs for the 30-day period preceding the date of application, or a copy of your most recent federal income tax return.
This income may include: Social Security Benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Veteran's Assistance, Unemployment Insurance, and pensions. Please bring copies of check stubs from the previous 30 days.
Bring a copy of your most recent federal income tax return.
If you receive alimony or child support, it will also need to be verified. Additional income not listed here may be required.